Pages

Monday, February 27, 2012

Outdoor show (edit Mar 1 )

So the photo contest is over. There were more than 330 entries this year, up from last year. I entered three photos, one in each category, landscape, Ontario Parks and wild life. I got to see the majority of the entries as they were being shown on a monitor. There were so many good pictures, much better than last year. I didn't win anything but I didn't lose either. Each photographer has his / her own style and I'm very happy with the pictures that I take. I've only been taking pictures since 2003 and on a more serious level since 2007. I still have a lot to learn.

My latest work of art, a picture posted earlier, is shown below. I had it reproduced as a 24" x 36" gallery wrapped canvas print. The result is amazing, it looks more like a painting but has a bit of a three dimensional look to it. It looks great.


I didn't enter it in the contest because I made compositional changes to it that would have disqualified it. I removed two garbage cans, a sign, and a couple of branches along one edge. I like the picture and so does my wife and that is all that really counts. It looks great and really brightens the corner of my living room.

So what pictures did I enter? well here they are. Nothing spectacular, but some of what I consider my favorite pieces.

 This one hangs in my living room as a part of my 'group of seven'







This one is similar to the panoramic I had printed on canvas.
The12" x 36" canvas print also hangs in my living room.

So here is the edit. After having a look at the winners and 25 honourable mentions, I just don't see it. The 1st and 3rd in landscape, and 1st in Ontario Parks are interesting and hold my attention. The rest of the winners do nothing for me. There are far more interesting pictures in the honourable mentions. Yet some of the honourable mentions don't do anything for me . I'm not saying mine are any better, maybe I just don't understand the criteria for success. But don't take my word for it, it's just my opinion, check it out  
  http://www.tb-chamber.on.ca/default.asp?pgid=551

There are a couple short photography courses coming up shortly. One on winter photography and the other on falls photography. I haven't decided what I want to do yet. They are both being done at Kakabeka, in mid March and early April.

No comments: