Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Aluminum

Two quarts of contact cement later and the last of the aluminum sheets are on the trailer. I'm glad that's done. I wasn't too sure how I was going to trim the edges, grinder, cutting disc or a poly fan sander until Christopher said they used a router at work. A half inch carbide flush trim bit and a little wax on the sheet and it worked great. Perfect edges. The wax melts and lubes the bit to prevent the aluminum from sticking. So there I am, glasses, safety glasses, ear plugs, plastic bag and hard hat. Yes the bag goes over my head and the hard hat keeps the bag from falling over my glasses. Quite the sight I'm sure but very effective. Aluminum shavings fly everywhere and it didn't take long to figure out that duct tape covering the upper half of the router openings prevented the shaving from spraying me in the face.

Well the next is painting, another chore I'm not looking forward to. The self etching primer has to be sprayed so its time to find the painting mask. Once that is done I'm going to roll on the top coats so that's not so bad. Two maybe three coats so hopefully by Sunday I can start putting trim back on.

No comments: