Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Roxy

Well it seems that Roxy's condition is getting worse. I watched her walk straight into a wall this morning. She has gone from loss of close vision to about 3 feet. I guess it is more blurred than lost but it has certainly gotten worse. I learned an interesting fact tonight regarding prednisone and dogs. It seem that one of the side effects of prednisone is the possible accelerated formation of cataracts. I wish I had known this about 4 years ago. Although the prednisone helped the trouble with her nose, she was not on it for long periods of time. I didn't see a great change with the drug use and it was not helping her eating and drinking habits. She was on & off the drug for about 4 years. I can't help but wonder if the prednisone has caused the cataracts. Bright light and darkness don't help as that is when she seems to have the most trouble. Even giving her treats has changed. She can't find your hand to get the treat. We have devised a method that so far is working rather well. If you touch her on the side of her face she can immediately find your hand and the treat. I'm sure there are going to be many challenges ahead but she is a smart dog and she will adapt. I just hope we can.


No comments: