Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

Roxy Update

I went on the Internet this morning to checkout the drug Niacin. Although uncommon, it seems that niacin can cause vision changes, namely blurred vision. Roxy has been on this drug for about 2 1/2 weeks, three times a day. I went straight to the vets office at 8:30 and they told me the vet would call me. That was 5 hours ago. So i took the drugs back to the drug store to get some more information and yes it can cause vision problems. I just hope it's not permanent. The other drug causes dizziness and drowsiness which explains her lack of enthusiasm. She won't even get up to meet you at the door.

5:00 PM I finally called the vet back & she returned my call around 5PM. I explained what was happening to Roxy but she had never heard of the vision loss with niacin. She said Roxy was to be on niacidamine which turns out to be the same thing. She read me the side effects of which included blurred vision and swollen eyes. She suggested that we stop giving Roxy the drug. Good plan - I already decided to stop. If Roxy's vision doesn't get better I'll have to take her back. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.


No comments: